On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 16:23, Phil Payne wrote:
> > This was forwarded to me by a co-worker.  It's interesting, and sort
of
> > echoes IBM's experience with 64-bit Linux on zSeries.  IBM mainframes
have a
> > maximum of 16 processors per box, but they also saw linear scalability
when
> > running a 2.4 kernel in 64-bit mode.  This is very nice verification
of
> > those results.
>
> I didn't think Linux supported a 16-way image.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that IBM only *sells* boxes with a
maximum of 16 CPUs.  That is not an architectural maximum of zSeries.
Consider that z/VM guest virtual machines can have a maximum of 64 virtual
CPUs (again, an implementation limit , not architeture)!  Granted, it
isn't useful to have more virtual CPUs than you have real ones, but I just
don't want anyone to get the idea that mainframes have some sort of
inherent CPU limit.

>From a practical standpoint, the partitioning (LPAR) and virtualization
(z/VM) capability of IBM zSeries allow you to add additional workload via
horizontal growth, rather than vertical.  Of course, vertical is still
available as an option where needed.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development