Ihno wrote:
 >According to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt the numbers from
 >231
 >.to 254 are allocatet the following way:
 >
 >231-239         UNASSIGNED
 >
 >240-254         LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL USE

There is a discrepancy between the doc and the code that was
implemented for the dasd driver. So, what else is new.

16x256=4096 (nodes 94 and 240-254). zSeries pushes well beyond that in
device capability. 4 shark, iceberg, or other dasd subsystem hits this
limit quickly nowadays. The current theoretical limit is 256 channels x
256 devices/channel=65,536 on a zSeries.

When will SuSE have the devfs as the default for zSeries so we don't
have to compile the kernel to use it and get away from the double
mapping we have to do between device and device node? It is a real
nuisance to try and map 100 devices per LPAR for 7 or 8 LPARs. Then try
moving 20 or thirty of those volumes to another LPAR when business
needs dictate! W/O devfs, I can vouch that it is both a pain and error
prone.