On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:09:54PM -0500, Kris Van Hees wrote:

> I worked on a RO / before (presented briefly at SHARE in TN), and
> unfortunately Linux has (or had - they may have fixed it) a C library that
> usesthe Unix domain socket /dev/log for syslog handling, and that one is
> created dynamically at each boot.  The introduction of devfs and possible
> changes to glibc may have removed that limitation (which would be a GOOD
> thing).

devfs solves this of course, but even without it, there are other ways to
approach the problem.  For example, using a ramdisk or other storage for the
full /dev, keeping only a minimal, static /dev on the real root filesystem.

devfs seems to work fine on s390, though, so that seems like the most
straightforward solution.

--
 - mdz