Neale Ferguson wrote:

>I'm attempting to install the XFree86-4.1 rpm and I get told it requires
>kernel-drm. What is this and where does it live?

On some high-end graphics card, the X server allows applications to
directly map parts of the video memory into their address space,
allowing for high-speed 3D graphics.

This requires kernel support, which is provided by DRM kernel modules.
I would assume those are meant to be packaged in that RPM (DRM stands
for direct-rendering module AFAIK).

However, on S/390 you don't want that; in fact you don't want any
X server in the first place.  How to tell the RPM that you only
want the X client libraries I don't know offhand ...

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  Linux for S/390 Design & Development