On Wednesday, 11/20/2002 at 03:28 EST, "Hall, Ken (ECSS)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have a couple of mods in place that let VM tell Linuz to shut down.
There's
> a patched version of mingetty that automatically logs in the VM console
> root, and then all you need is a script in
> the root PATH called SHUTDOWN (all upper case) that contains:
>
> shutdown -y -g0
>
> Then you use the VM SEND command to send "SHUTDOWN" to the VM, and it
goes down.

> I also have a modified "halt" script that uses the hcp command to send a

> "logoff" to CP to delete the VM when the shutdown completes.
>
> There have been other approaches to this too.  One used the POWER sig to

> trigger the shutdown script.

z/VM 4.3 has the SIGNAL SHUTDOWN command that can be used with Linux.  (I
think Neale wrote some Linux code to intercept the signal.)  This is the
same mechanism that z/VM 4.3 itself will use if the LPAR is deactivated to
issue its own CP SHUTDOWN.  Further, CP SHUTDOWN will trigger SIGNAL
SHUTDOWN automatically to all guests which support it.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development