On Monday, 11/25/2002 at 09:24 ZE8, John Summerfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Isn't the relationship supposed to me
> MTU <= MRU
> where MTU and MRU are values at the opposite ends of the link?
>
> I can send as much as I like so long as it's no more than you expect to
> receive.

In theory, yes, but in practice, no.  The MTU may be used to set the I/O
buffer sizes, depending on the device's capabilities.  If it is a
"packing" device, then the output buffer could be a multiple of the MTU,
while the input buffer has only enough space for a single MTU-sized
packet.   CTC is a case where the MTU size and the I/O buffer sizes are
completely independent.

The MTU is most often dictated by data link standards.  I.e. Ethernet with
SNAP headers: 1492.  Without: 1500.   Jumbo frames: 9K. Everyone in the
same LAN segment should have the same MTU.  This usually means that
whoever configures the routers defines the MTU everyone else on the LAN
segment will use.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development