On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:01:10 +0800 John Summerfield said:
>On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 12:42, you wrote:
>> Oh no, I didn't mean to impugn Regina at all. I last saw it long ago
>> (1996?), and gave up on it real quickly. I fuzzily recall that it only
>> seemed like a close cousin to the IBM Rexx dialects. Many OS/2, TSO, and
>> CMS execs I'd written broke in unexpected places -- IIRC, only the most
>
>I tried it briefly back then too; I had a working REXX script that Regina
>couldn't cope with so I dropped it too.

I've spent some time working on some Rexx execs to have them work the
same on CMS, TSO and Regina on Windows, most recently a TXT2PDF from
Leland Lucius that Lionel includes with XMITIP for TSO.  The biggest
problem is the IO.  There really isn't any IO that is consistent
on those three platforms, much less deal with the performance implications
of the IO routines on those platforms.  Except for that and an ASCII-EBCDIC
issue that needed to be handled, TXT2PDF is about 3,000 lines and it ported
flawlessly.  The same two issues for some SMF decoding routines I've
written.  I've been very happy with Regina and have used it to do some support
for TSM and Notes for SHARE.  All it does is make me miss CMS Pipelines even
more.

>But that was six years ago. I didn't think the fact OREXX was broken then was
>means much now either.
>
>John Summerfield
/ahw