I think you can fix this with "rm /usr/man/cat1/rpm.1", although I don't have a Linux
system to look at right now, and I may have the pathname wrong.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Duerbusch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 9:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Man formatting problem

I shot my self in the foot....again.

I'm bringing up Suse 8 with the default installion.  The manuals kept
referring to installing with a minimum of 256 MB or 560 MBs.  But now
that I had a system up, I started bring down the size to see how small
it can be and still run.

In all cases, I was running without a swap file.

I could boot the system at 16 MBs and it would come up fine (12 MBs
wouldn't boot).  So I logged on and tried some commands.

"top" worked fine
"man top" worked fine
"man rpm" failed

It seems that the first time you issue a "man" for a particular topic,
extra work, is done and is saved.  Subsequent executions, even after an
IPL, don't experience the "great" use of CPU that is done initially.

However, in 16 MB, "man rpm" failed.  And it will now fail even with a
machine size of 256MBs.  Apparently, whatever was partically done with
the "rpm" man pages isn't going to get redone.  "man rpm" now fails
consistantly.

I have considered reinstalling Suse 8 and just learn not to IPL with
such limited storage.

I have also considered ftp'ng the man page from another Linux 8 machine.

But there must be a better way.

Is there a way to force the "man" command to redo the man page in
question?

"man man" doesn't show any syntax that may do this.  Perhaps there is
another command that will?

Perhaps whatever process there is to build a man page would be needed to
"cold start" this process.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting