Here are my notes that I made while creating the icons for my SuSE 8.2
workstation:

Keyboard remapping:

Apply these changes to make x3270 behave like Extra! Sessions:

Use a File Manager with root priveleges to access the
        /home/userid
directory.  Change the view to show  hidden files and use Kedit or some
other editor to add theses statements to the end of .Xresources:

!
! Some adjustments to the keyboard of x3270:
!
x3270.keymap.custom:\
   <Key>Escape:    Reset()\n\
   <Key>Return:    Newline()\n\
   <Key>Control_R: Enter()\n\
   <Key>End:       EraseEOF()\n\
   <Key>Pause:     Clear()\n\
   <Key>Prior:     PA("1")\n\
   <Key>Next:      PA("2")\n\
   Shift<Key>F1:   PF(13)\n\
   Shift<Key>F2:   PF(14)\n\
   Shift<Key>F3:   PF(15)\n\
   Shift<Key>F4:   PF(16)\n\
   Shift<Key>F5:   PF(17)\n\
   Shift<Key>F6:   PF(18)\n\
   Shift<Key>F7:   PF(19)\n\
   Shift<Key>F8:   PF(20)\n\
   Shift<Key>F9:   PF(21)\n\
   Shift<Key>F10:  PF(22)\n\
   Shift<Key>F11:  PF(23)\n\
   Shift<Key>F12:  PF(24)\n
!
! Now tell x3270 to use these adjustments.
!
x3270.keymap:   custom
!
! then open a shell and issue: xrdb -merge .Xresources

        When finished, save /home/userid/.Xresources and open a shell.  Issue
the command  xrdb -merge .Xresources  to activate the overrides.  The
next time you open a session with x3270, the changes will be in effect.

Different screen models:

Create an icon on the desktop and set the application path to:

        '/usr/X11R6/bin/x3270' -model 3279-5 mvshost1

Change the model to 3279-4 or 3279-2 as needed, and change the host
field to vmhost1 as needed.