I Thought HSA was shared between all LPAR's and taken out of Maint storage
of LPAR 1 only.

Larry Davis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob van der Heij [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 02:13
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Minimum memory size for zSeries Linux

> I did get the SuSE SLES 8, SP2 up at 12MB - Linux saw 8424 KB, so about 4M
> was LPAR overhead. And yes, it was slow during boot and trying to enter
> commands. But the swap size was 3044 KB, so it had to be doing a lot of
> swapping!

If you're really talking about a 12 MB LPAR, then I suspect that HSA takes
off a
few bytes at the top and Linux then rounds memory size down to multiple of
4M.
The memory that you see reported in 'free' is without the kernel, static
data areas
and the table that describes memory (this is why that 'overhead' increases
with
memory size). In my 128 MB virtual machine Linux hides some 7 MB, and in a
64 MB machine slightly more than 4 MB.