Daniel Jarboe wrote:

>This usually happens around 7ish or noonish.  I asked about the "linprox
>kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 5e:01 (dasd), sector " messages
>before, but the last response I received was
>"This is a known problem in the linux memory management code that only
>shows up on s390. You can probably find a detailed explanation in the
>mailing list archives. The good news is that the problem is completely
>harmless, except for filling up the system logger."
>
>I was curious, because these messages seem to increase during failures,
>and I am using the basevol+guestvol configuration.  /dev/dasda1 is
>shared r/o across several images.  This is RH 7.2 with a rebuilt
>2.5.STABLE3.  Any ideas?

The I/O errors on a read-only device are most likely fixed by the
latest service patch on developerWorks (for 2.4.7 check the August
2001 stream pages, patch linux-2.4.7-s390-14 as of 2003-07-07,
problem ID 3144 "memory management: dirty bit clearing").

However, this is unlikely to have anything to do with the Squid crashes;
note that the "User process fault" messages do not indicate a kernel
problem in any way, but are simply a means to help debug user space
application crashes.

Bye,
Ulrich

--