FORTRAN... depending on how old you are, meaning which version you used...
mine was a number of versions of ForTran IV...

comments began with a C in column 1
continued lines had a character in column 6
(aside: it is widely believed that you needed 1,2,3 etc. for the
appropriately
 numbered line but this wasn't the case on the ICL 1903 version that I used
 circa 1978)
label numbers were allowed in cols 1-5, all numeric
(aside: it is widely believed that you had to put labels in cols 2-5
 but this wasn't the case on the ICL 1903 version that I used
 circa 1978)
characters per word depended on the word length - 4 on the
ICL machine, 5 or was it 6 on the hmmm... I think it was a Honeywell
although it may have been an early DEC.

I could go on (implicit integers for vars beginning I-N, computed GOTOs
(my favourite)) but we're getting off topic.

Mind you, since we are, it's amazing to see in the musings on this list
just how
much was being thought about in real world labs that we were actually
working on
as mere examples on my degree course. Shame that nothing seems to have come
about from them in the last 20+ years and that we're still reduced to
running
timer loops on certain systems due to the architecture...

Ah well, regrets over... we now return you to your regularly scheduled
"You had 1s?
We were doing this with only 0s!" BYTE8406(1) reminiscences.

Rod

(1) http://www.212.net/business/jargonb.htm