On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Daniel Jarboe wrote:

> > yesterday I went from KDE to a (what looked like a ) telnet
> > session , I think by pushing Ctrl+Shift+F4 , needless to day
> > I could not find my way back to KDE with a reboot .
>
> Did you really mean rebooting did not help... I'll assume not.  Maybe
> you flipped into a virtual console... could it have been ctrl+alt+f4?
> Ctrl+alt+f1 thru f6 are virtual consoles though f1 may be busy.  Usually
> it's set up so ctl+alt+f7 will get you back to your desktop environment.
> But I don't use kde, or SuSE, so maybe what you're describing is
> something else entirely?

You can have more than those six: I often have syslogd logging to tty12,
I'm currently running two "X -query number" and have a regular login
screen as wall on my Pentium III "X-terminal." Now I've discovered vnc
I'm really going to town.

It's the best solution I've found yet for getting a Linux desktop on
your Winders computer. All you need is a Java-capable browser: even
Internet Exploder will do.

--

Cheers
John.