On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Lucas Brasilino wrote:

> Hi
> > I would like change the usual form of date in /var/log/messages to
> > another format (like ISO-8601, etc..).
> > Anybody help me ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> >        Evandro Vargas - IBM Brasil.
> >

>         Maybe with a little syslogd source code hacking....
>         Or you should configure the desired facility/level to
> be written to a named pipe and create a little code to translate
> it format to ISO-8601.

You probably don't want to do anything to delay its being written to
disk, so if not the source-code hacking, then at display or archive
(logrotate) time.

I have a little Perl I use to beautify Squid logs; the same approach
could be applied to syslog output.

The problem with source-code hacking is that, unless you can get your
hackery rolled into the master copy, you have that little extra delay in
installing any new releases.

--

Cheers
John.