At a high level, the IO characteristics of a pSeries and a well-configured
(I say again: WELL-CONFIGURED) Intel box are very similar. The major
difference is in the type of numerical applications and how the numerical
applications use the processor. Intel systems do slightly better at
applications with primarily scalar arithmetic; pSeries boxes excel where
there are more vector-oriented operations (eg, the same operation performed
on large arrays).  You can erase some of that difference by sheer brute
force (ie, the price premium for a pSeries will buy enough extra Intel
horsepower to partially compensate), but the pSeries will be more effective
for problems that benefit from large tightly-coupled SMP configurations
beyond what is usually commercially available with Intel boxen. There is
also a cost in algorithmic complexity to make use of less tightly-coupled MP
in the Intel space.

Look at the configuration of the Blue Pacific supercomputer complex for an
example: some pSeries, lots of Intel; different processing queues for
different types of problems. It's a right-tool, right-job problem. Both
platforms are useful; you have to use the right tool on the problem at hand.

-- db

David Boyes
Sine Nomine Associates