Mark Post wrote:

>I figured it out.  The process was using 115MB+ of virtual storage, and I
>ran out of swap space.  (The top command does have its uses.)  Adding
>another swap file allowed the command to finish.  I have to say that "Error
>143" is _very_ uninformative in a case like this.  :(

Well, 'make' says 'Error <N>' when the process it has started to build
a target terminates with non-zero exit code <N>.

Now, convention is that user processes normally use exit codes < 128
to signal various sorts of abnormal exit conditions of their own;
the kernel will set the exit code to 128 + signal number if it
kills a process with a signal.

This means your 'ld' process was terminated by signal 15 (SIGTERM).
The only way this can happen (unless the signal was sent manually,
e.g. using 'kill') is if the kernel's out-of-memory killer selected
this task to kill in order to get out of a fatal out-of-memory
situation.

However, usually you'd get a SIGKILL (signal 9) from the OOM killer;
this would have been displayed in a more obvious way by make
(something like 'Killed').  I guess you're getting only a SIGTERM
because you were running the build process as root?

In any case, your /var/log/messages file will contain a line
"Out of Memory: Killed process ..."

Bye,
Ulrich

--