On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 11:20, Sergey Korzhevsky wrote:

> I've tried to backup z/os dasd (actually, get image of it) from linux but
> with no success.
>

> So, is it possible?

I don't think you can. The Linux dasd driver only handles disks that
have been formatted and allocated in a very specific way as dasdfmt and
fdasd do it. I failed to get the right people to listen to provide
relief for that.

What I believe we need is a device driver that can read and write any
ECKD disk like a tape. For customers with a larger investment in Open
storage equipment this could be an attractive way to do full backup of
the z/VM volumes (though a restore would probably need Linux native to
get started).

Rob