From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Jim
Elliott
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 6:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FW: IBM iSource -- U.S. Announcements

> This interesting little tidbit showed up today. It says that the
> per-CPU licensing for SLES8 on iSeries and pSeries is being changed
> to "per-install." (The announcement also uses the term "per-server
> install.")

> Perhaps someone from IBM could comment on this. Does this mean that
> if someone uses the hypervisor to create (for example) 10 Linux
> LPARs, they would be charged for 10 licenses, when they might have
> been charged much less on a per-CPU basis? It's rather vague, and I
> don't want to spread misinformation if I can avoid it.

Mark:

Reading this announcement, I can understand the confusion. What it
means is that SuSE SLES on iSeries and pSeries is now priced per LPAR.
This is consistent with Red Hat RHEL which is also priced per LPAR on
iSeries and pSeries. Both SLES and RHEL continue to be priced per
processor on zSeries.

Note that RHEL is priced per image on Intel and AMD servers so if you
were running VMware with 4 RHEL images you would need 4 RHEL licenses.
I don't know how SuSE charges in a VMware environment.

Jim