I have just bumped into something that may be of interest to the list.

"Xen is a virtual machine monitor for x86 that supports execution of
multiple guest operating systems with unprecedented levels of
performance and resource isolation."

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/index.html

Which is part of a larger project:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xeno/

In their own words:

"The Xenoserver project is building a public infrastructure for
wide-area distributed computing. [...]

This wide-ranging project has two main strands of work:

    * Development of the Xen virtual machine monitor, a high-performance
hypervisor for hosting multiple commodity operating systems on a single
x86-based server. This forms the core of each Xenoserver node, providing
the resource management, accounting and auditing that we require. Xen
finds numerous applications outside the Xenoserver project. These inclue
server consolidation and secure computing platforms.

    * Development of the Xenoserver Open Platform control software for
managing networks of Xenoservers. Our research includes distributed
storage, server discovery, resource management and authentication,
authorization and accounting (AAA) functions. This work finds relevance
to Grid computing and to globally distributed testbeds such as
PlanetLab. "

I skimmed a couple of their papers and they specifically mention S/390
and zArch LPARs as an example of virtualization technology but I didn't
find any referece to z/VM.

-jmc