On Wednesday 10 March 2004 22:58, Joseph A Dempster wrote:

> Did George really get his PHD in the 80's?

I think a bit earlier, actually but I don't know for certain -- memory loss is
starting to set in. To go head-to-head and argue design with the PARC crowd
during that period, he'd have been at a serious disadvantage without one.
Still, by the time I met him at CSLI he'd already been working with Spinrad
and the Dmachine black gang for about 6 years.

He (and Marvin Minsky @ MIT ) were remarkable advocates for the seminar and
footnote style of education (give me 3 beers and get me started on this
topic, and we'll be storming the barricades to revamp the US "education"
system by the end of the evening). Great publisher and writer, spoke and read
about 6 or 8 languages, and knew where to find any obscure book you might
ever want in translation or in the original. *serious* used book junkie --
and a consumer of really high quality space opera -- and guaranteed to have
genuine pulp editions of any decent SF writer published in the late 1950s.

One of those people that *knew* he was getting up in the morning to go change
the world, and constantly delighted in every new day. The world's a sadder
place without him.

-- db