> Just downloaded Samba 3.0.4 to upgrade from Version 2.2.5-SuSE.
>
> I am following the normal install procedure. It seems that there are
some
> patches for SuSE. But there is a caveat that goes with that.
> I would like to know how the list members approached the upgrade. Also
> please advise me on how to upgrade for SLES8.

Is there a specific function you need in Samba 3 that is not available in
Samba 2? If not I would recommend sticking with the distro-supplied RPM.

The main reason that I suggest this is because there seems to be a nasty
bug in Samba (s390) whereby TDB files become corrupt under a significant
workload. Samba must be recycled to work around the TDB corruption. This
is being addressed in PMR 68139. There is a workaround to use the smb.conf
global "mmap = no" which seems to avoid the problem in Samba 2, but not in
the latest Samba 3.

If you must build it, there are two major flavors - LDAP-enabled or not
(classic). SuSE SLES-8 ships Samba built both ways. I'd recommend deciding
on one and getting the ./configure parameters from the SLES-8 .srpm file.,
unininstalling the RPM then building via ./configure; make; make install.

-Mike MacIsaac, IBM  mikemac at us.ibm.com   (845) 433-7061