>Thanks for all the great info. and suggestions.  I have another
question
>regarding memory and vm.  One of the sales reps was saying that
memory
>on the z/Series under z/vm  had a 10 to 1 ratio over memory on intel,
>meaning if we had a intel box using 10 gig of ram that we would only
>require 1 gig of ram on z/VM.  I know you can do some trickery under
vm
>but is 10 to 1 really feasible?

It all of course depends. Consolidating multiple Intel images on Linux
for Zseries with zVM saves a lot of duplicated storage.
For example we have just moved 5 Intel boxes with a total of 18G that
were storage constrained to one Linux image with 4G Vsize and it has
storage to spare for Linux caches etc. If you move one-on-one and really
use Intel memory it is 1:1 and you wil save nothing. But most Intel
machines tend not to use all real memory and thus have slack memory
space. Consolidating to virtual machines on zVM you can cut down a lot
on that slack space. Also the paging capacity of zVM is superior to
Intel due to the available I/O bandwith and paging algorithms, so an
acceptable paging rate on zVM may be intolerable on Intel with respect
to performance.

Best regards,
Pieter Harder

[EMAIL PROTECTED]