Guessing (WAG mode): Could this memory growth be caused by maintaining
symlink context?

It strikes me that if there are a lot of symlinks that there'd need to be
kept a list of where they're pointing so that it could ensure resolution.

Since I've *NO* knowledge of the internals of TSM (I have enough problems
getting time to understand the externals) the above is a WAG.

--------------------
John R. Campbell, Speaker to Machines (GNUrd)      {813-356|697}-5322
Adsumo ergo raptus sum
MacOS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging
Windows.
Red Hat Certified Engineer (#803004680310286)
IBM Certified: IBM AIX 4.3 System Administration, System Support
----- Forwarded by John Campbell/Tampa/IBM on 08/19/2004 03:10 PM -----

                      Daniel Jarboe
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      stserv.com>              cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on        Subject:  Re: [LINUX-390] tivoli
storage manager client?
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      IST.EDU>

                      08/19/2004 02:57
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

> I've seen that behavior on a system with a lot of open files (it keeps
> context entry to go back and check later in the run to see if the file
> is closed and available), but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Is
> this the first backup of that filesystem on this server? Sometimes the
> first backup does consume a lot more resources than the future
> incrementals.

In this case, no, the files weren't opened.  We have yet to complete a
backup on this server, but it's no longer sending files across... It'll
just be doing the:

08/18/04   22:24:34 ANS1898I ***** Processed     4,000 files *****
08/18/04   22:24:35 ANS1898I ***** Processed     5,000 files *****
08/18/04   22:24:36 ANS1898I ***** Processed     7,000 files *****
08/18/04   22:24:41 ANS1898I ***** Processed    14,000 files *****
08/18/04   22:24:42 ANS1898I ***** Processed    16,000 files *****
08/18/04   22:24:43 ANS1898I ***** Processed    17,000 files *****
08/18/04   22:24:47 ANS1898I ***** Processed    22,000 files *****
08/18/04   22:24:50 ANS1898I ***** Processed    26,000 files *****
08/18/04   22:24:54 ANS1898I ***** Processed    30,000 files *****

messages, etc, because these files have not been opened/modified since
the last dsmc.  Yet the dsmc footprint quickly skyrockets.

> But, that said, no, that's not unusual. The TSM client is a pig for
> resources.

Thanks David,
~ Daniel