First, use Ficon.  performance is SIGNIFICANTLY better than
Escon.  Channels for VM Paging (vm does paging, not swapping)
is rarely an issue. Escon channels to me are a huge inhibitor
to LInux on z/VM performance.

There has been no published research for SAP performance
under Linux under z/VM.  There IS however work on a redbook
for Oracle under linux under z/VM that will hopefully be
published or at least partially distributed. I've been working
on the performance part of that. I've looked at some SAP
data but i think some extended research is needed.

The overcommit question is not easy, there are several issues to
address first.

Do your servers drop from queue? This allows VM storage management
to page servers out and is critical.

Do you use virtual disk for linux swap? and have minimized
the virtual machine size? This reduces overall requirements.

Can you determine what percent of time your servers are
active? if all your servers are active at the same time,
you need storage to satisfy all of the active requirements.

There was a z/VM performance class scheduled last month
in Munich. Another class has not as of yet been scheduled.
Check "www.velocitysoftware.com" for z/VM performance
education schedules.

>From: Lufthansa Systems Infratec ZLINUX SYSPROG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Dear all,
>
>there is a lot to read about z/VM and Linux performance.  Also
>about memory over commit.  but I didn`t find "real life"
>performance data about zLinux & SAP or Oracle or Tomcat (nor
>other "standard" Application-Server) and how the perform while
>over commit memory.
>
>A special point of interest would be:
>- How many escon-channels do you use for swap under z/VM ?
>- How much (in percent) do you over commit memory for a Linux-guest ?
>- What`s about fibre-channel ? Is there a much better performance and is
>it possible to do much more memory over commit ?
>
>- If yes, how much more ?
>
>As I can say so far, 20% memory over commitment in general
>works. We us 4 escon-channels to the z/VM swap-devices.
>
>I would be happy, if someone can share some "real life"
>experience with us.
>
>Regards,
>
>Martin Lonkwitz
>
>Martin Lonkwitz Lufthansa Systems GmbH
>
>UNIX Systems Engineer    FRA AR/ISS
>
>Systemplanung,-betrieb   Am Weiher 24
>
>und Entwicklung          D-65451 Kelsterbach
>
>                         Telefon:(069) 696-72456
>
>Externer Servicepartner der Firma
>
>networker, projektberatung GmbH
>
>Am Kaltenborn 1
>
>61462 K=F6nigstein

"If you can't measure it, I'm Just NOT interested!"(tm)

Barton Robinson - CBW     Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Velocity Software, Inc    Mailing Address:
 196-D Castro Street       P.O. Box 390640
 Mountain View, CA 94041   Mountain View, CA 94039-0640

VM Performance Hotline:   650-964-8867
Fax: 650-964-9012         Web Page:  WWW.VELOCITY-SOFTWARE.COM