From: Lee Stewart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 2:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VMware vs. VM

For example:  Over the weekend you're going to update your machine and turn
on another IFL -- that requires the entire box VM, LPARs, servers to be
shutdown for a POR/IML...

Now a VMware Virtual Center (with V-Motion) example:  I have to update my
4-way xSeries 445 to an 8-way, which requires the same type of hardware
outage.  And I have multiple VMware boxes in the shop, all controlled
by  Virtual Center.  I can migrate the running Windows or Linux servers off
the box I need to update, onto various other boxes while the update is
being done, then back to the updated server -- all without ever taking the
servers down.  No outage from the customer or application point of
view.  All assuming you have the processor and memory capacity available to
hold the workload on the other machines.  (Keep in mind if you're running
say 6 servers, those 6 could be moved to 6 different servers to spread the
load.)

It would be analogous to taking a running Linux user under VM and migrating
it to another zSeries box on the fly without taking the Linux user
down.  VM and zSeries is good, but it can't do that -- at least yet.

Lee

At 11:57 AM 12/10/2004, you wrote:
> > VMware can do things that VM can't...  Imagine
>taking a > running active server and dynamically
>moving it to      > another physical processor --
>never missing a beat.
> >

>What type of scenerio would this be useful on zSeries
>hardware?  I thought IBM indicates it to have a mean
>up time of 99.999%.

>http://mail.yahoo.com

>For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
>send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
>http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Enterprise Systems Group
(719) 566-0188 , Fax (309) 410-5363