Arty Ecock wrote:

>   Is there a "better way" to determine when swapping has increased?  Are
>there other /proc files that might be useful?
>
>   Trapping the output from vmstat for "si" and "so" values might be
>interesting, but certainly not clean (I'd rather find these values
directly
>if I could).

The source of vmstat's data is /proc/stat (line starting with "swap")
on 2.4 kernels and /proc/vmstat (lines "pswpin" and "pswpout") on 2.6
kernels.  The fields count number of pages swapped in/out since system
boot; vmstat shows the difference in those fields per display interval.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  Linux for S/390 Design & Development