On Apr 19, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Tom Duerbusch wrote:

I kind of figured that out, but I'm really looking for documentation on
security.  I can find man pages on commands, like adduser and addgroup,
but I haven't found any pages on file security.  I would guess the
command name would be someone's cats name (many command names in Linux
sure don't make much sense<G>).

With groups, I can see how I could setup a group of users that have
access to each others files, but not how to have one user have full r/w
access to a set of users files, without those users having more access
then just their own files.

As has been said, for a general solution to this, you would want ACLs.

You could hack around it by making the users' directories all owned by,
let's say, group "kahuna", and setting the group sticky bit on the
directories so that new files created are owned by group "kahuna":

#cd /home
#ls
alice bob carol
#chgrp kahuna alice bob carol
#chmod g+s alice bob carol

Let's say "frank" is the user who should have write access to these
files: you just put "frank" in group "kahuna" (vigr is usually the
command to edit /etc/groups atomically), and, just as important, you
make sure that alice, bob, and carol are *not* in group "kahuna."

Does anyone know of a good Unix file permissions tutorial?  I soaked
all this up in the early 90s when I was learning Unix for the first
time, but I don't know where you go to absorb it for the first time.

Adam