> Please keep us posted and to how hipersockets can be used
> without having to
> have each application specify the exact IP address of the
> hipersocket and
> without having to go to a DNS server.

I guess I don't understand the phobia about DNS.

>From a maintenance and reliability perspective, /etc/hosts is a
screaming nightmare -- hunting down one missed update can take days. You
can do split horizon DNS trivially with BIND v9 (you can specify
different answers depending on the origin of the query).

Caching only DNS on the client systems or a master DNS server in a
virtual machine with the others pointing at it as clients is immensely
simpler to manage, and you can deal with names rather than IP addresses
in just the same way as /etc/hosts without all the problems of
/etc/hosts.