Hi Phil.

>From the experience, I think, that:

ready - device is visible but not linux formatted
active - device is visible and linux formatted
unknown - device is not visible.

        WBR, Sergey

Phil Smith III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
13.07.2005 00:07
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port

        To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        IBM DASD driver

We're seeing some strange results with the newest IBM DASD driver, and
wonder if anyone has sussed it out.

We have code that's managing minidisks.  Sometimes when the disk is LINKed
and the "set device range=xxxx on" is echoed to /proc/dasd/devices, it
goes to "ready" instead of "active".  Other times, it stays "unknown".
This is on a 2.4.21 kernel.

This tends to irritate our code, which retries and eventually gives up.
The "ready" we can handle, although we think it's new; the case of staying
"unknown" is very strange, but might be timing-related (we have retries in
there but perhaps not enough, and it's on a customer system that we can't
easily lay hands on).

So...does anyone understand what these statuses ("unknown", "ready",
"active") are supposed to mean, how the transitions between them are
defined, and like that?  I Googled but to no avail.

Thanks,
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III