On Saturday 06 August 2005 04:38, Neale Ferguson wrote:
NF> I have a guest LAN that connects a number of guests.
<snip>
NF> All but one of the guests can talk to each other, except one
NF> (I'll call X) which can only talk to the default gateway. If I ping the
NF> others from X I get no response. The same goes when I go from the any
NF> other of the guests except R to X.
<snip>
NF> We are z/VM 4.4 0404. Guest X is SLES9 SP2, Guest R is SLES7, other
NF> guests are Debian.

There are a few VMLAN fixes out since 0404RSU.  From recent experience I'd
suggest you get right up to date and try again (the qeth driver on the guests
other than X might need an update as well, although it strikes me as odd that
the SLES 7 system works talking to the SLES 9 SP2 given that its qeth is
probably older than the Debians'...).

The z/VM team maintains an excellent resource that talks about (among other
things) z/VM maintenance levels in support of virtual networking:

        http://www.vm.ibm.com/virtualnetwork

Look for the "Virtual Switch and Guest LAN CP Maintenance levels" link.

NF> The other weirdness I see is that all the guests have a subnet mask of
NF> 255.255.255.192 but Q LAN DETAILS reports everyone as 255.255.255.0.

No need to be concerned about this.  At earlier levels the display shows the
natural network mask (i.e. as if you weren't subnetting) instead of the
actual subnet mask in use.  On z/VM 5.1 the subnet mask display is removed
(replaced by the MAC address, like the multicast display).

Cheers,
Vic Cross