Please don't patronise me. I and several others from the VM/Linux
Technical Steering committee of SHARE have been working hand-in-hand
with the lab people since SHARE was in San Francisco a few years ago to
work out a means of doing co-operative development. Those involved
determined it would be a good idea if instead of an uncoordinated
approach to kernel development for s390 we could do things in a more
planned way. This way we could avoid the reinvention syndrome. We had
setup a system on the Marist VM/Linux complex and ported bitkeeper over
so that we had up to date kernel sources; there would be general access
for the s390 people interested in kernel development; and the lab people
could see what we were up to. It was then going to be a matter of
submitting our changes to the kernel we made through the s390
maintainer. Technically this was done. Legally we couldn't get it going.
Not our legals: YOURS.

So yes, the alternative approach of going through the standard mailing
lists appears to be our only option now. We were keen to work closely
with the s390 lab so that stuff like my "utterly crap code" could be
made less crappy. But please don't complain to me about my complaints
when we've been trying to do what we feel has been the best for the s390
Linux branch.