Christoph's point is well taken: The best place for the code was to be
submitted for inclusion in the mainstream and subject to peer review. My
point is that I hadn't avoided that process but had been trying to work
with IBM (via SHARE and the Technical Steering Committee) to setup a
co-operative process to get code like this in a place where it could be
dealt with by the s390 community prior to going to the main kernel list.
We were doing so in order to avoid duplication of effort and to deliver
quality stuff to the kernel. However, things got bogged down in the
legals such that we now have to find an alternative means of doing so.
In the interim people needed a "mainline" solution and the folks at the
lab stepped up and got one in. If it's a technically superior option
then all the better. However, I just took offence at the implication
that I was avoiding submitting things and was "bitching". I have had my
dealings with the glibc list so I know how necessary it is to develop a
thick skin. Similarly, the work on the Mono s390 JIT was done directly
with the mono list: so I think I'm familiar with what the process
involves.