Imagine a PC vendor shipping just one operating system with their PCs :)

Linux/390 made a fairly big splash a few years ago. But it seems the community
news is languishing, and if you don't make headlines once in a while, you cease
to exist in the eyes of business managers. Our project manager said it today:
"Virtual Linux is cool stuff, or it was". My point is, the product is maturing -
we know what works and what doesn't work. The good things should be bundled and
put out there so a computer generalist armed with basic knowledge can take it
and
make it go with minimal effort. At this point we are all diverged with highly
customized implementations that basically do the same thing. If we can
standardize on minidisk addresses, a configuration interface, and capture 95%
commonality of what an Oracle (or any) server should provide, and optimize it,
that would be a good thing. The rest of the IT world is focusing on standards,
and we should be no different.

Some people might see this as "dumbing down", but in reality competition calls
for a streamlined portable plug-n-play appliance, as opposed to complicated and
redundant site-specific exercises. Its also our best shot at getting *supported*
read-only shared Linux code. I can see all the pieces out there waiting to be
put
together, its just a matter of willpower (and yes, legal hurdles). David, see
what you started?

Ray Mrohs
Energy Information Administration
U.S. Department of Energy