Changing the subject....

What is the size of MDC in your shop?
I guess to make the numbers mean something, please include:

1.  Processor (number of processors, MIPS) under VM's control
2.  Real memory size
3.  About of dasd

On my old MP3000 with 1GB, I set MDC to a fixed 100MB.  Even at the end
of the boxes life I still easily had the 100MBs for MDC  (i.e. no
paging).

Well, now I'm on a z/890 with IFL.
The 390 side, I still have MDC set at 100 MBs (and no paging).
But the IFL side....

There was an IBM doc about 5-8 years ago the recommended 1% of you dasd
be the size of cache.  Now we have 4 TB dasd.  That would seem to
indicate I need 40 GB for cache...yeaaaa....right...  Trimming this down
to actively used dasd gets much more reasonable figures.

But 2MB for MDC?  Is that reasonable for any VM system?  Or was that
just a bad example?

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

"cp set mdcache storage 0M 2M    (this would limit central mdcache to
2M)
cp set mdcache xstor 0M 2M  (this would limit xstor mdcache to 2M)"