Use tar.  Create a tarball  (tar -z -cf)  , transport the tarball file to the
new system and un-tar it (tar -z -xpf) .  Read the man pages on tar carefully.

"Christmas is a funny season.  What other time of the year do you sit in front
of a dead tree and eat candy out of your socks?"
Gordon Wolfe, Ph.D. (425)865-5940
VM Technical Services, The Boeing Company