Because no one has ported the HotSpot/JIT code (which is architecture
dependent) to s390. Sun uses their "Hotspot" compiler to take the Java byte
codes and create native s390 instruction sequences. I ported the 1.2 and 1.3
JDKs when they still used a Just In Time compiler (JIT) but hesitated when they
went to Hotspot as most of the code was in C++ and there was a ton of work to
do. So basically, you can't certify what doesn't exist. I'm not sure the
interpreter-only mode of operation is supported (and even that would require
some architecturally dependent code to handle parameter passing conventions),
it's certainly not desirable from a performance standpoint.