Bruce,

Since you said "cygwin", I take it that the "local" system is Windows.
If so, I strongly suggest getting PuTTY at
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ . It does both Telnet
and SSH. Then set up PuTTY to do "X forwarding". This will set up
everything to come to your desktop via an encrypted "back channel". The
PuTTY documentation is fairly good about explaining this, if you are not
familiar with it. Or just ask here again. You'll have a normal BASH
shell when PuTTY connects. You can get an "xterm" by simply entering
"xterm &".

Now for the method that will likely get me flamed a bit. If you are
running over a LAN and are not really concerned about somebody
"sniffing" your connection (like a wire tape), then you could simply use
Windows' telnet to connect to the remote Linux system. Once there, enter
the command:

export DISPLAY=your.windows.ip.address:0.0

Replace "your.windows.ip.address" with the IP address of your desktop.
Leave the ":0.0" portion as is.

This is totally insecure and not recommended. But I'll include it for
completeness sake and hope that the security people are relatively kind
to me and only call me foolish.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.