This problem has come up a number of times. Check the following links to
describe Eligible lists (E3) and the commands needed to tailor your z/VM
environment to work best with Linux guests:

http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/tips/z890.html
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/tips/linuxper.html
http://www.cecmg.de/doc/tagung_2005/2A1_Robinson_Langfassung.pdf
http://linux-sandbox.com/vmscheduler.html
http://www.the400resource.com/mainframe/tips/index.asp?sid=29&id=1105&p=1
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/os/linux/pdf/avmlinux.pdf
http://204.146.134.18/devpages/bitner/presentations/perf101.pdf

These should give you everything you need to know.

Neale