From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Christian
Borntraeger
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:42 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: How to signal a Linux guest from z/VM?

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 16:16, Romanowski, John (OFT) wrote:
> But if hotplug gets triggered when I attach a dasd why is it only some dasd
> addresses get automatically enabled and appear as /dev/dasd? after I attach
> one while Linux is running? Is the hotplug action limited to only the dasd
> addresses defined on the kernel parameter line, like  dasd=200-20F ?

The Linux kernel does not activate any new devices on s390 by default (its a
long discussion why) These devices appear in sysfs (/sys/bus/ccw/devices/....
and /sys/devices/css0/..) trigger a hotplug event and thats it.
You can activate these device with scripts, or if hotplug is properly
configured, hotplug can activate these devices (IIRC on SUSE the hwup script
is called which checks the config files in /etc/sysconfig/hardware/)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Christian Borntraeger
Linux Software Engineer zSeries Linux & Virtualization