From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Jorge Souto
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 09:07
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: tape backups

Our heads agree that TSM it's expensive.

We will choose between:

1) Bacula / Amanda writing to z/OS by: FTP or NFS  (hypersockets !!!).
We'll
backup approx 1 TB by month, then could be 250 GB weekly. I need this
space
in z/OS dasd, would be great writing directly to tape (maybe ftp'ing
with a
specific HLQ, so SMS allocates it in tape).

2) Connect the "tape ecosystem" to z/VM LPAR. The machine where it runs
is
already working with tapes.

We have IBM VTS B20 on peer to peer (in progress...).

I don't understand why Symantec discontinues Veritas Netbackup on
z/Linux

"Next major release following NetBackup 6.0 will not support this OS
version. This status could change if market and/or vendor
support positions change"

Thanks

2007/8/6, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Monday, 08/06/2007 at 08:38 EDT, David Boyes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > We are considering (and we should) backup our linux guests on
z/VM.
> > Any
> > > suggestion?
> > > Perhaps Tivoli TSM...
> >
> > Works, but is expensive. Also requires SCSI/FCP tape drives.
>
> Assuming the TSM server is on Linux or on another distributed system.
If