From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 07:19
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Hitachi DASD subsystem Replication - anyone?

Background:  in a predominently zOS sysplex environment (2 z9's) and a
fairly large Open Systems environment (Linux, Solaris, AIX, Windoz), a
recent storage subsystem consolidation/upgrade decision was made to
purchase an Hitachi USP1100 on a large tiered storage platform.

Problem : with zVM and zLinux, while growing rapidly, it doesn't yet get
the *attention* it needs considering resources and tools.   Example, we
have been running around 4 years on 2 IFL's on an old DASD subsystem
nobody else wanted, STK V960, and now integrating into the Hitachi world
the "methods" of storage replication was an after thought. The STK V960,
while older an *unwanted* at least offered a "snapshot" feature with a
VM interface for controlling replication, and Hitachi is telling us
(short of experiment yourself with ICKDSF on a full volume level) none
of their replication products have a native VM interface - specifically,
we desire access at the minidisk level vs. full volume.  We basically
use full volume 3390 emulation, but reserve CYL 0 for unique volser,
such that the "replication" involves zOS shared DASD full volume dumps
of snapshot target volser's, and zVM uses internally for cloning guests
(vs. DDR's).

Question for LIST: Is anybody out there using a Hitachi USP subsystem
for the zVM storage, and if so, how are you handling volume replication?
Hitachi indicated that they had *heard* that some customers were running
zOS as a guest machine under zVM, but this seems impossible to justify
for us in that the reduced VM license cost for IFL would no longer be an
option, plus the zOS licensing to boot.

Any ideas or experiences out there would be appreciated for
consideration.  Thanks