OK, thanks Mark. I'll pass this on to Sam.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mark Post
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:50 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: zLinux IBM Java Install

>>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at  7:35 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Evans, Kevin
R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark/Ron,
>
> Ron Baldor had replied.......
> "We got them from here:
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html
>
> However, we used the tgz file instead of the rpm.
>
> Sam (the guy here that is doing this) did use the RPM from the above
> URL. He is now trying the tgz file to see if that changes things.

Since you didn't get the package from your Linux distribution provider,
I'm not very surprised that you have problems with missing dependencies.
Using the .tgz file will not show the same problem, because RPM won't be
involved, but then you've just bypassed the software inventory mechanism
(similar to zapping things outside of SMP/E or SES), so it won't know
anything about what you did.  This could very easily lead to problems in
the future, if some of the files get deleted, written over, etc.  You
won't be able to use RPM to verify things.  You also won't be able to
ask your support provider to help you out, either, since you'll have
voided support for that package or set of packages.  Only you can decide
if having this particular version is worth all that, but if it were me,
there would have to be a _really_ strong business case for it.