So, generally, everyone seems to be bashing UNC.

But no one suggested something better.

Requirements:  (I think)

Must be accessable to Win/2000 clients and above.
Should  be accessable to Linux clients.  (we expect Linux on the desktop,
eventually)
The end user, "clicks" on a link, perhaps from a web page, or from an email to
bring up the document (JPEG, PDF, perhaps spreed sheet).
We want the file accessed and loaded to the client, without mapping a drive
letter or requiring anything else to be done before hand.

Right now, the Open Systems  and Network types are saying SAMBA with UNC.
Which is, what they know.  And it is used a lot here.

So, what is better?

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Cat Acceleration

  A cat will accelerate at a constant rate, until he gets good and
  ready to stop.

>>> "McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/26/2008 7:37 AM >>>

I would guess that it is "not a good idea" because it is linked to MS's
proprietary networking protocol. That protocol is not really documented
fully and is subject to change on MS's "whim". Also, not every OS out
there can use it. z/OS, for instance, just doesn't have a good SMB
client. The Samba people have been fantastic about figuring it out, but
I, personally, would never go with a proprietary, undocumented, protocol
unless there was simply no other choice.