>>> On 8/13/2008 at  9:47 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Scott Rohling
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> And expansion of a root filesystem much harder.

With a properly laid out file system design, that will _never_  be necessary.
Never.

>  As pointed out, RedHat
> defaults to an LVM root - so it's harder to brush it aside as just a bad
> idea.

No, that doesn't make it harder at all.  See my other post on that.

> I think there are pros and cons - enough on both sides that I wouldn't flat
> out tell someone "don't do it"..  Recovery is less easy, yes, but certainly
> possible - you just have more than one DASD to consider.

It's far worse than that.  Having / on an LV has _zero_ advantages, since there
is never a need to expand the root file system.  Having / on an LV introduces
additional risk, and will elongate recovery time.  That makes the decision very
easy.  More risk, no benefit, no deal.  Put / on an "plain partition."