Hello list,

I found the problem.

On the NFS client system, there was a VSFTPD process that had been
sitting there for a while consuming a large percentage of the CPU on
that system.  I did a kill -9.  On /var/log/messages, I received an
unexpected lock response message.  When I looked back on the NFS server,
the lockd process was no longer consuming large amounts of CPU.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Foster at Baldor-IS wrote:
Hello,

Sorry about responding slowly.  It seems that the new spam filter here
at work is filtering out some of the messages from the mailing list.
I did not notice the response until I went over to mail-archive.com.
can Hopefully  the mail folks to find out why I did not get your

Brad,
When I upgraded this system to Service Pack 2, I put in a cio_ignore
statement.

Rob,

I opened a Service Request with Novell.  The engineer suggested I do a
tcpdump to see if some other system was peppering this system with NFS
requests.  There is, at the rate of about 1500 to 2000/second. (There
is a hipersockets connection between the two systems.)
Thanks for the information about CPU.  I will need to file that away.

If there is anyone on the list who might know why an NFS client might
be making a few thousand requests a second.  The entries are:
2013    0.998898    10.168.2.224    10.168.2.121    NLM    V4 LOCK
Call FH:0x01f59727 svid:55455719 pos:0-0
2016    0.999015    10.168.2.121    10.168.2.224    NLM    V4 LOCK
Reply (Call In 2013) NLM_DENIED

Over and over again.

Thanks,
Ron