It's really no where near as complicated as expressed in the RedPaper
if you can simply intercept the usual 'rootfsck' and replace it.  Then
commit to having a set of "service" disks which can be flipped into
R/W mode.  (Then apply service, whether RH or SuSE.)

The RedPaper goes into excruciating detail because the audience is
completely unknown.  We had to assume that every step had to be walked
through, and the distributors don't specifically support this idea
(yet).  But if you understand how a POSIX system should be laid out,
and in particular if you have some of your own intentions about
filesystems, it's really an easy thing to do.

We run read-only root in production at my day job.
I personally run read-only root (with shared virtual disks) on Xen at home.