From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Alan
Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 11:25 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Formatting 3390-9 problem with RedHat

On Wednesday, 04/01/2009 at 09:56 EDT, Scott Rohling
<scott.rohl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you dedicating/attaching volumes to this guest?  If they are
minidisks,
> then you've been given full pack minidisks which include cylinder 0
(note
> the 10017 size) ..  and Linux is formatting the dasd label..
>
> If they are dedicated volumes - then I'm not sure how it's going to act
from
> a z/VM point of view in terms of a valid VTOC.

z/VM doesn't care about the VTOC.  All we care about is the volser.
CPFMTXA places a VTOC on a volume simply to keep z/OS a z/VSE from
allocating datasets on the volume (and it is part of a VOL1 standard
label).

The interesting part of Bobby's post is:
> > After formatting the device under VM with cpfmtxa and
> > examining the vtoc with IEHLIST, it is as expected, it tells me there
is a
> > permanent I/O error.

Bobby: It isn't clear to me what is telling you there is a permanent I/O
error.  IEHLIST?  Linux? What was the I/O error?

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott