On Monday 04 May 2009 14:25, Lionel B Dyck wrote:
>I entered 'exit' and nothing.
>
>here is my console log:
>Attention: Only CONTROL-D will reboot the system in this
>maintanance mode. shutdown or reboot will not work.
>
>Give root password for login: JBD: barrier-based sync failed on dasda1 -
>disabling barriers
>
>exit
>Login incorrect.
>Give root password for login:

Aha!  I thought you were already past that point and in the shell.  But you're
not: you're being prompted for the root password.  So you first have to type
the root password, then it will give you a shell prompt.  Once in that
interactive root shell, you can issue the appropriate fsck commands to fix up
your filesystems.  You may also need to remount your root filesystem
read-write, as another poster suggested.
        - MacK.
-----
Edmund R. MacKenty
Software Architect
Rocket Software
275 Grove Street · Newton, MA 02466-2272 · USA
Tel: +1.617.614.4321
Email: m...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com