McKown, John wrote:

Problem is, I've known such. And, to be brutally honest, I could have been caught myself
simply due to ignorance about how/what "ldd" works.

Of course. Everyone does once. Some how the Unix world survives. Like you guys somehow survived with your indescribably
lame password system on VM :) Stuff happens. You fix it and go on.

 I'm z/OS internals oriented, not Linux internals. So "well known" Linux/UNIX
hacks like this could be run against me.

Yes. They could. Which is why Real Unix Users don't log on as root and mostly use sudo to execute well-thought-out commands.

If you can't learn to partition your world thusly, and back up regularly, you really shouldn't use Unix.

--
Jack J. Woehr            # «'I know what "it" means well enough, when I find
http://www.well.com/~jax # a thing,' said the Duck: 'it's generally a frog or