Where I did initially like IUCV and VCTCA, both methods are Point to Point on
an IP network. (it seemed simplier)  It violates all the standard networking
laws.

Every time I showed our IP setup to the network people, they were just confused
and I didn't know why.
But in z/VM 5.2, support was dropped for IUCV and VCTCA on an IP network.  When
I migrated over to z/VM 5.2, I had lots of VSE and Linux images that had to be
converted.  But first, I had to learn real IP networking (subnets, broadcast
address, router address, etc).

I also converted over to VSWITCH which made life soo much easier.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Mark Post <mp...@novell.com> 4/26/2010 3:54 PM >>>
>>> On 4/26/2010 at 04:46 PM, Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazq...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> Ouch!  We use IUCV all the time.  Is there any reason for this?
>>
>> For the installation process?
>
> SuSE is not too far:
> http://en.opensuse.org/Linuxrc#Special_parameters_for_S.2F390_and_zSeries

Yes.  So?  Who is using this stuff for installation these days (except perhaps
on Hercules)?  If someone is, on real System z hardware, they're being overly
masochistic to say the least.  Don't do that.